What is the date of the SCPA Championship Finals?
April 6, 2019.
Where will this event take place?
The SCPA Championship Finals is hosted at Citizen's Business Bank Arena. The address is 4000 Ontario Center, Ontario, CA 91764.
How much of my time will be required?
That depends on how many shifts you want to sign up for. We expect each shift to last approximately 4.5 hours.
What will I be doing?
There are many areas we will need help covering. Here is a list of where you might be assigned. When you complete the Volunteer Sign-Up Survey you will have the opportunity to check your preferences. We will do our best to accommodate everyones' requests but please understand you might be asked to fill in a spot where you are most needed.
- Ensemble Check-In (checking in ensembles as they arrive and distributing their wristbands to them)
- Top of the Ramp (responsible for making sure the correct ensemble is entering the pre-stage area and that all entering persons have a wristband)
- Bottom of the Ramp (ensures flow of traffic for entering and exiting ensembles)
- Tunnel Entrance/Exit (monitors flow of ensembles entering and exiting arena. Responsible for preventing cross-traffic collisions)
- Mid-Tunnel (as ensembles line-up to enter arena, this group prevents ensembles from overlapping each other)
- Performance Entry (responsible for getting pre-performance ensembles into the competition area)
Performance Floor (typically students on standby to help ensembles remove equipment from the competition area)
- Performance Exit (directs exiting ensembles from competition area to floor folding area)
- Hospitality (maintains a clean presentation of the hospitality area for the judges)
- Judge Runner (responsible for keeping the judges supplied with water and snacks; at the judges "beck and call")
- Sounds Technician (works in tandem with announcer to provide supplied music in between performances)
- Merchandise Tent (responsible for selling SCPA merchandise; cash box, changes, tablet, and card reader provided by SCPA)
- Parking Lot (directs arriving buses and trailers to the correct location; must be assertive)
- Warm-up Lot (monitors the warm-up area; keeps ensembles on their warm-up schedule)
I have small children. Can they help?
We would love to have your entire family help! Our requirement is that you must be able to focus on the task at hand. We request your children be 12 years old and older.
How big is the event really?
At SCPA Championship Finals, from the time the first ensemble performs until the awards ceremony begins will be about 13 hours. We expect approximately 60 high schools and independent ensembles will be presented. We anticipate 4,000+ spectators will be in attendance.
Will I get to watch any of the performances?
As a volunteer, you are guaranteed entrance into the arena before and after your shift. If you've never watched a marching or concert percussion performance you are in for a real treat!
Where will I park?
Unfortunately, Citizen's Business Bank Arena does not provide free parking for our volunteers. Most of our volunteers park off site at one of the local retailers. You may pay to park at the arena but we will not be able to reimburse you for the cost of parking.
What should I do about food and water?
While you are not working your shift you may enter the arena and purchase food at the concessions. You are also welcome to eat off-site. There are a number of restaurants and fast food places in the local area. We will have water available for all of our volunteers.
What if I have additional questions?
For any information not listed, please contact Amy Lock at email@example.com or by text at 909-714-0604.